The 10th anniversary edition of the Knoppix Live CD/DVD version 6.4.3 is now available at http://www.knoppix.net/ for free. This is a great way to get familiar with Linux and not be bothered with installing it on your HD. Check it out!
On several ocassions I've needed to quickly edit the host file on my Mac but it was always a pain to do. Wanting to use a GUI text editor instead of the common command line editors in Terminal, I thought TextEdit would work just fine but I get the error as listed above. Much to my delight I found that TextWrangler handles this situation just fine and prompts for the administrator password when saving. Sweet! To top it off, it's free.
I recently needed to update the time stamp on several thousand photos. I have been using a great (Mac) tool for this called 'A Better Finder Attributes 4' from http://www.publicspace.net/. But this time I needed to increment the time stamp for each file sequentially. What to do?
What I came up with used the command line tool, ExifTool, and a script in the Mac Automator to update the EXIF information. Then I used A Better Finder Attributes 4 to update the file creation and modification date/time from the EXIF data.
As I never used ExifTool before I searched around for guidance and found this information helpful. Then I figured that with the use of a script and a variable I could get my desired result of an incremented time stamp. I found this post by Klaus very helpful. All I needed to do was add the variable to his script and I should be all set. This part took a bit longer to figure out than I expected though.
Here's the replacement script that I came up with:
x=0 for f in "$@" do x=$(( $x + 1 )) exiftool -overwrite_original -AllDates+=$x "$f" done
One of the times I used this process the script appeared to hang. I ended up stopping the script and it seemed to continue processing so there might be a problem with the interaction with the exiftool in the automator job.
While the following process worked for me, I'm wondering if anyone else has a better solution?
Today I spent most of the day replacing all of the upstairs outlets and switches. This took much longer than anticipated -- mainly due to my oversight on correctly wiring three sets of 3-way switches. The old switches had the common terminal on one end whereas the new switches had it in the middle. To make matters worse -- even when I realized this mistake -- I incorrectly thought the common was a different terminal than it was. Of course the lights worked properly after getting the terminals all sorted out. The other time consuming aspect was due to the use of 12 ga wiring with 15A outlets. The new ones didn't allow the use of the push-in connectors and I had to wrap the wire around the screw terminals.